10.11.2006

24 Hour Worlds write up

10.07 – 24 Hour Worlds Write Up

10:45am
With breakfast in me, and my pit crew (my father, brother, Dan the Man and Jennifer) already having setup my pit, I made my way down to pit row.

It was in the high 60’s and would reach maybe a max of 75-80 during the rest of the day, with sunny skies. It was a relaxed feeling in the pits, and I tried to take it easy before the start.

Did a quick video interview with Barrett Heywood from Light & Motion as he was in town to check out the race. Light & Motion was part sponsor of the Gripped Films documentary on Chris, and the venue is around Barrett’s home town, so it was a good event for him to be at.

After that, I mentally prepared for the race to come.

Chris was going to go out fast, and Gordon would be in tow.

NOON
Race starts, the run is chaotic as usual with arms flailing as guys who don’t run very well get through the quarter mile run. I am about 15th’ish to the bike, but due to some mad cyclocross skills, I run past a lot of guys and jump on the bike making up roughly 10 places in about 30 feet. I can’t run that well, but the skill of being able to jump on your bike during a full run not only looks cool, but saves a ton of time.

I chase. Chris and Gordon are flying ahead of me and the game plan was to let them duke it out, hoping that they would cook each other out. With me riding a “safe – but close – distance” behind them, I would swoop in. The plan was then to be on the same lap as them before nightfall, and to make up time during the cover of darkness.

3PM
Laps are clicking off fast, heat is getting higher and I am starting to feel it. I am now roughly in third place with the 4th and 5th place riders close behind.

6PM
I am getting tired, which is not good. By this time, I have slipped back to 5th and now try to come up with the next game plan.

The fast laps threw off my pit strategy – I was taking in too many calories which believe me, figuring that out at a heart rate of 175, covered in sweat, dodging the trees and screaming through dust as thick as fog at 20 plus miles an hour is a feat in itself.

11PM
Having lapped riders literally by the third lap, I was now a lap up on the 6th place rider and was roughly 20 minutes down on Hendershot who was riding steady in 4th.

I pitted to change clothes, grabbed some grub and made my way back out – not really knowing how could it really was. I dressed light and opted for no knee warmers.

The temperature was 47 degrees.

3AM
At this point, I am getting hungry and my heart rate is going down as I get more and more fatigued. I feel OK, but cannot push a high heart rate.

I start eating Hammer Bars and some other solid foods as the temps got really cold – I had to get calories in as I was not drinking due to the coldness.

7AM
Having heard that Chris was getting warm oatmeal for breakfast, at around my 24th’ish lap, all I could think about was scrambled eggs. I have my pit crew get some eggs from the hotel across the street and at roughly 7am’ish, I am taking off my lights and eating scrambled eggs out of a cup. Yummy.

8AM’ish
Chris was a few laps and a couple minutes ahead of me during my lap, and I would catch up to him on the second section of the figure 8 loop. We ride together for awhile, talk for a bit, and eventually catch up to Steve Schwartz. Chris is not looking that good.

10:30AM’ish
Having passed up Chris in the pits, I get informed that Gordon is starting to slow and Chris is making another move to get back into first. He soon catches me again and he physically looks a lot better.

I am informed in the pits that I am now about to lap the 6th place rider again as he is right in front of me. This late in the game, I am now a lap down on Mark in fourth, and 6th place is far enough behind me that if I stop early, I will still finish 5th.

11:30’ish
Having just completed my last lap, I cross the finish line in 5th place overall.

Great race, one that I can honestly say I’ll never forget.

I gave it my all, maybe went a little too hard at the beginning and possibly sacrificed a few places because of it, but I feel that it was better to have tried and failed, then to not try at all.

And to all my fellow competitors out there – great race. Hats off to everybody– the teams, the single speed freaks, and for Adrenaline.

And for the fans of Ernesto – thanks for cheering me on during the race and checking out the blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recap and the pics. Hell of a race, congrats on a job well done.

Jeff Kerkove said...

Excellent!

Investment Biker said...

Great race Ernie. Way to go out fast and race to WIN!! Will we see you at BA Cross Race this Sunday?

Later,
Brett