12.17.2006

Cross Nationals Write Up - Day Two

12.16.06 Cross Nationals - Providence, Rhode Island

Temperature today was in the mid 50's with a cold and steady wind. Clear skies and the constant wind dried out the ground today, so the course was fast to say the least.

Juniors were first to go out -



Tony from Lake Effect had a bad start, but soon made up for it. I watched his entire race, and he kept a steady pace and was really smooth in the rough sections. Watch out for this kid - he ended up taking about 15th'ish in his race.




Jimmy's race at 11'ish and he would start on the last row. His situation soon got worse as a spill in front of him took him to the ground, but he soon made up ground. Out of a roughly 60 juniors in his class, he finished 14th - and one thing to remember, this is his first cross season.

The collegiate races were next, with the finale of the day - the men's elite.

Shawn and I started at 2pm: He was in the 8th row, I was in the 10th row. I guess it is the price we paid for not getting any UCI points this year, but this was a race I always wanted to do and if I didn't go another foot, it was still pretty cool to be on the starting line contesting the National Cross Title.

Gun goes off and I actually get a pretty good start, moving up two rows by the first section of grass where I was ahead of both Shawn and Gunnar Shogren - but soon I could feel it. My legs were not going to have a stellar day.

By the time I got to the section they called the Jelly Bowl, I could hear the crowd - it was deafening, accelerating and crazy. People 5 deep screaming, banging on the barriers, ringing cow bells, blowing horns. It was pretty awesome just to ride through a crowd of people like that.

Soon I was dropping back in the field. I was turning my legs over but no power or snappiness were coming out. I was sprinting out of every corner and going harder then I have ever went in a cross race.



With 3 laps to go, I was holding on for dear life as I was trying not to get lapped - in the elite national title cross races, they pull you once you are lapped. Nearing the end of one of my laps, I take a stupid spill and go down on one of my wrists - and as you guessed, yes, it was the one I injured a few weeks back. Pain shot immediately through my hand as I fumbled to get my chain back on and push on.

That spill probably cost me at least 30-40 seconds and a chance to not get lapped - as they pulled me the very next time through. I ended up 71rst on the day, out a roughly 140 man field.



Shawn had a better day today, no spills - but he ended up getting yanked out of the race too, a lap latter. He finished up 68th on the day.

Tough day for us both as we talked about it later - we arguably had our best cross seasons ever, but we are left with the notion that next year we can do better if we train a little harder, hone our training schedule, get some early cross races in, snag up some UCI points and get further up on the start line when it comes to this point next year.

That's it for the 2006 racing season, no more races until march'ish of next year as I need some time to rest up for next year.

I'll take some time off the bike, then hit up some good base miles the last week of December.

Thanks to everybody cheering me on saturday - thanks for pushing me on the little bit further.

Sologoat out.

3 comments:

John Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Goat, I see you race a Moots. Those are out of my budget. Any thoughts on cross bikes in the $1500 price range? I'm really looking hard at that cross bike from Felt. Spec'd real nice with Ultegra and 105 parts, plus it is that sweet flat black color scheme.

Anonymous said...

Baaaaaaad Goat! Ernie, nice racing this weekend. Drew had a great time hanging out with you guys at dinner. Thanks!


Ron, Gretchen and Drew Bercaw (& Ally)