9.01.2005

08.31.05 - the down-low from whistler post #1

8.31.2005 – travel day to whistler

3:45AM – alarm goes off. For some odd reason, I could not sleep too well and I kept on having dreams about the race course. Got up, checked off things in my mental list of things to take and walked out the door into my dad’s pimped van. His van has a lot of customizations, including a leaky gas tank that was fixed the day before. It’s an old conversion vans (remember those) where all the customizations were made with wood, vinyl and wooly carpet. Sweet. Oh, and did I mention that my father is a policeman and this van was his old crime scene vehicle? Yep, has a bunch of shelves with labels on it such as “gloves, fingerprint dust, body bags, etc..” Now, we just have to find a label maker to replace those with “tires, hammer gel, helmets, and nutty bars.”

6AM
Check in was pretty uneventful. 80 bucks to ship the bikes one way, which totally sucks considering golf clubs and skis can go for free. Grabbed some hot java at Starbucks, sat around a little and waited for my flight to come in. My flight was leaving at 7am and had one layover, and then would get out to Vancouver at 11am West Coast time. Dan and dad would leave at 9AM and get to Vancouver around 2’ish when I will hopefully be cool chillin’ and ready for them to jump into the van for the drive north.

Oh, and before I forget – thanks to WWW.SPEEDGOAT.COM for picking up the flights for dan and dad. And – thanks to WWW.WECANSOLVE.COM for picking up my flight. Traveling out this far can get costly, so picking up the flights saved me a ton of cashola.

Noon – East Cost time
Pilot announces we are about two hours from Vancouver and we are currently somewhere over Montana. Listening to RJD2 on my IPod, thinking of sweet single track, thoughts of fighting off bears in the woods and fans at the air port, the 2005 solo worlds is about to come to fruition for me in a very short time. It’s been a good year and I am hoping for a good race, fast lap times and pits, no cramping, etc.

So, I must depart as I need to study up a little for my SQL exam as I did not pass yesterday. I have until December to pass, so I think I am good because I roughly scored twice as high as I did when I originally took it.

Anyhoo, gotta run. Not sure of when I’ll be able to post – but I should have the race recap to you guys by no later than Monday/early Tuesday as dad and dan go back Monday morning and I am hanging in Vancouver until Tuesday afternoon.

Sologoat out.

No comments: