3.04.2007

winter riding 101



yesterdays ride was a question of how much sliding around on ice covered bike trails i could take. the answer was about 2 1/2 hours, with another couple of hours on top of that.

not much to report on, other then my new ergon grips have found their way onto my soma juice winter bike. very nice grips, curves where they 'ought to be, soft material compared to some of the other lock on grip brands - sort of feels like the grip is really shaped to the palm of your hand. i have a tendency to just rest my hands on the bars without my thumb locked underneath when i don't need to (going up climbs, mostly - to save my hands over the next 24 hours), so these grips are working out really nice. and when you do stand up, it feels like the grips give you a little bit of extra leverage on the bars.

i am running the mens model, but i have heard from others that they are using the womens version as it is a little thinner/softer grip overall.

the maxxis ignitors are on the way and the maxxis crossmark's are not out yet, though i heard a rumor of availability some time this month.

thoughts of the salsa el mariachi are dancing in my head, but i don't know what gearing to run. any suggestions would be appreciated. offhand, was thinking of running something like a 32x18/19 and then having a 16 or 17 tooth cog for when i am riding the flatish paved hike/bike paths here in kent/cleveland area.

with that, gotta roll.

sologoat out

1 comment:

DMC said...

I am rolling a 34x20 on my mountain and think that I'll change it to 34x19 when I move to the mid west 44x18 on the cross.. I rode more flats with that one..